I took the girls to a Halloween party last year, and while we were there I saw these really fun pumpkin-shaped carrot slices. I thought it was a fantastic idea for a healthy snack in the middle of all the sugar and candy you usually find at this time of year, and I knew I wanted to recreate them for the girls. Tee has been peeling our carrots for the last couple of years, so this was a great little Halloween project for us to do together.
Pick large, sturdy carrots with smooth skin. We grabbed the best ones we could find from the bag, and Tee set to peeling. Once she was done, I used a sharp paring knife to cut two notches about 1/4″ deep down the full length of each carrot like this.
I found it easier to cut the carrots in half before cutting the notches.
Once you have your carrots looking something like this (I did a little trim work after the initial cutting), slice it into pumpkin shapes. Tee helped with this part, under close supervision of course.
And there you go!
Here’s a very simple ranch-inspired but healthy yogurt dip recipe to serve with your Halloween pumpkin carrots.
- 4 large carrots
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 - 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel, trim, and slice carrots as per directions above into pumpkin shapes.
- Mix all dip ingredients and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving to allow flavours to deepen.