We’ve been discussing our summer plans lately. Talking about doing some local sightseeing, planning a vacation, and fitting a camping trip in there too. The girls had such a good time camping last year, they’re already clamouring to go again. I’m looking forward to unplugging, slowing down, and reconnecting with nature. Sleeping under the stars, cooking over a fire, and spending lazy afternoons dog paddling in the river… these are the kinds of memories I want to leave with my kids.
Speaking of camping, today I made a batch of gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly honey vanilla granola. High in healthy fats, omega-3s, energy, protein, and fiber, this granola is perfect to take along for camping and hiking, or as a high-energy afternoon snack!
Instead of oats or other grains, my granola is made with almonds, cashews, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut, and flax seeds.
It packs a lot of calories in there though, so unless you’re going on a long, hard hike, be careful not to overdo it. This sweet, crunchy treat is so delicious, it’s easy to get carried away and eat way more than you intended. Not that I would know anything about that!
Great on its own, sprinkled over yogurt, or as a topping on fruit crumble. How do you eat your granola?
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add almonds to food processor and blitz for a few second to break them up into large pieces.
- Add cashews, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds to food processor and pulse until nuts and seeds are roughly chopped.
- Transfer chopped mixture to a small mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and spread on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring mixture half way through.
- Allow granola to cool before serving, breaking up chunks with a fork.
- Store in an airtight container.