I hate to admit it, but summer’s starting to wind down. We’ve been packing every moment of family time we can into the sunshine we have left, and that includes enjoying family barbecues in the backyard.
Here’s a little kitchen tip for you. When it’s hot and sticky outside, try changing up the protein in your usual recipes for something a little lighter and leaner, like turkey! (My personal favourite is swapping ground turkey for ground beef.) Luckily for us, Canadian Turkey has plenty of tips, recipes, guides, and videos in their BBQ Bootcamp series to help us master grilling with turkey and make the most of our summer barbecues.
Whether you cook with white or dark meat, turkey is low in fat and high in protein, making it ideal for healthy and nutritious summer meals on the grill. Plus when we cook a little extra, it’s easy to make a quick second meal from the leftovers.
Turkey is so much more than a holiday roast. Think ground turkey, legs, drumsticks, thighs, breast steaks, breast rolls, breast roasts, drummettes, wings, sausages, burgers… With so many versatile cuts you can swap turkey into any of your favourite barbecue recipe, changing it up for a leaner, fresher dish everyone will love. Or how about discovering a new favourite, like this recipe below for a flavourful, spice-rubbed Brazilian style grilled turkey breast served with fresh salsa verde!
- 1 X 3 lbs boneless, skinless Canadian turkey breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried ground oregano
- 1 tbsp dried ground coriander seeds
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients to make the marinade. Pour marinade over the turkey breast in a non-reactive bowl (glass, ceramic or stainless steel) and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, remove the turkey breast from the marinade and wipe off any excess. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Combine all spices and herbs to make a rub. Rub generously all over the turkey breast. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the turkey breast over medium heat, with the lid closed, 15-20 minutes per side, until cooked through and no longer pink and a digital thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F. Let the meat rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients in a mini blender or chopper. Pulse until roughly chopped. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sliced turkey immediately with salsa on the side.
- For a make ahead tip, freeze the turkey breast in the marinade in a freezer safe bag or container. The marinade will keep the turkey meat juicy and moist. When ready to eat, just defrost and proceed from step 2.
Looking for more tips, recipes, and turkey how to guides? Visit Think Turkey for delicious grilling recipes and helpful grilling tips. You’ll also find year-round Whole Turkey How To’s packed with helpful tips and techniques and recipe videos that will make it easy to create delicious turkey meals all summer long.
Win a $75 Amazon Gift Card
One lucky reader will win a $75 Amazon gift card to help you plan your next summer barbecue! Enter to win in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada, 18+. All entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to like me on Facebook!