When I was growing up, my mother used to steam a chopped up chicken in a wok and top it with a mixture of minced ginger and green onion. While her ginger and green onion chicken was a quick and simple meal to prepare, the chicken itself was pretty bland. All the flavour came from the ginger and green onions. Since then, I’ve discovered that cooking my chicken with the ginger and adding some chili powder and black pepper gives it a lot more flavour and is still just as easy to make.
Start with 4 pounds worth of chicken parts, bone in and skin on. Peel and julienne a finger-length piece of fresh ginger root into matchstick size pieces. Chop up one onion or two large shallots and set aside. Heat your oil in a large wok over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the ginger and onion. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
Mix up one tablespoon of sea salt, one tablespoon of chili powder, and half a tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.
While placing the chicken on the bed of ginger and onion, sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over all the pieces, top and bottom. I usually use a pair of kitchen tongs so I can easily flip the pieces to get all the surfaces evenly spiced. Turn the heat down and cover the wok. Cook for 45-50 minutes, stirring once or twice. Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from heat and toss with three stalks’ worth of finely chopped green onions.
Ginger and Green Onion Chicken
- 4 pounds of bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 finger length piece of ginger peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 stalks green onion finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add julienned ginger and chopped onion. Cook until onion becomes soft and translucent.
- In a small bowl, combine sea salt, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Place chicken pieces on top of ginger and onions. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over all surfaces of each chicken piece.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cover. Cook for 45-50 minutes until done. Stir once or twice.
- Once chicken is cooked, add chopped green onion and serve.