Now that the holiday season is officially over with all its tempting treats and big family feasts, it’s time to get back to healthier eating habits. More home cooked meals, heavy on the veggies and light on starchy fillers. No sugary sauces or rich gravies. Today’s recipe fits the bill nicely!
Most of my recipes are born from standing in front of my open fridge and throwing things together that look yummy. A couple of weeks ago, hubby brought home a big mesh bag of limes from Costco. I only needed a couple for our holiday margaritas, so when I saw the rest of the bag in the produce drawer I knew I wanted to use them up somehow. I had some fresh rosemary in the fridge too, and I thought it would go nicely with the limes. I was right!
This recipe can be used with either lean chicken breasts or higher fat chicken thighs. I prefer thighs for their flavour and juiciness, but the bright citrus and rosemary seasoning keep it fresh and light no matter which you choose.
I adore this blend of flavours! You can use dried rosemary, but fresh is definitely better. When zesting limes or any other citrus fruit, the trick is to use a fine grater on the coloured rind, but be careful not to remove the bitter white pith underneath.
Paired with cauliflower fried rice and a mixed green salad tossed with antioxidant blueberries, heart-healthy pecans, and creamy goat cheese, this is a quick and delicious dinner perfect even for busy weeknights. Enjoy!
Rosemary Lime Chicken
- 10 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- zest and fresh squeezed juice from 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos can substitute with soy sauce or gluten-free tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lime sliced
- Mix all ingredients together and marinate chicken thighs in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade and transfer to oven-safe baking dish.
- Arrange lime slices on top of chicken pieces.
- Bake for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through and juices run clear.