Everyone loves pizza!
We don’t love all the extra calories and carbs though, and for those of us with food allergies or intolerances, traditional pizza crust just may not be an option. Fortunately, we have options!
Especially at this time of year, with all the holiday bustle and sugar overload going on, a quick and healthy snack is a must. These mini zucchini pizzas fit the bill. Everyone loves these delicious bite-sized snacks, and (shhh!) the kids will get their veggies in too. Plus they’re only 10 minutes in the oven!
You can totally use store-bought pizza sauce for these, but I prefer to make my own. It’s really not that much trouble, and making my own lets me avoid the extra salt, sugar, and unnecessary additives. If you do make your own sauce, it’s best to make up a batch the day before so the flavours have time to blend and mellow in the fridge. If you don’t have the time (or you forget!), don’t let that stop you though. It still tastes good!
Make this a fun afternoon activity with a snack payoff at the end! Kids love putting on the pizza sauce, sprinkling the cheese, and adding the toppings to build their perfect mini pizza. We’ve done diced peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, shredded chicken, even crumbled goat cheese. The sky’s the limit!
Have fun with this one! What are your favourite pizza toppings?
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (see instructions below for homemade)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ham (or pepperoni) pieces
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced (optional)
- Other pizza toppings as desired (mushrooms, bacon, olives, onions, etc.)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together tomato paste, water, olive oil, and spices until smooth.
- Allow to rest in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash zucchini and dry. Slice into circles, about 1/2" thick.
- Top zucchini slices with 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce, 1 teaspoon of mozzarella, and 1 teaspoon cheddar.
- Add ham, green pepper, and other toppings as desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbling and ham starts to crisp on edges.
- Let cool for 3 minutes then enjoy.