The girls and I all had colds this week. Summer colds are no fun! For whatever reason colds just seem worse in summer than in any other season. I didn’t feel like cooking of course, but the kids started to get hungry so I bucked up and made a huge batch of chicken to last us a couple of days. Hubs kindly took over and threw together some Chinese style ginger and garlic stir fried vegetables to complete the meal. I decided to share his recipe with you because it was just that good!
He used the veggies we had in our fridge, but of course you can use whatever you have available. This time he used carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, and snap peas.
This yummy ginger garlic sauce was made paleo-friendly and gluten-free by substituting arrowroot starch for cornstarch, and using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Start by dissolving your arrowroot starch in the cold water. Then add the coconut aminos, Chinese cooking wine, raw honey, minced garlic, chili paste, rice vinegar, and fish sauce. Mix everything up well. Feel free to omit the fish sauce if you want this to be a vegetarian dish.
Drop a couple tablespoons of coconut oil in a wok over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, throw in the carrot slices and stir fry for about 5 minutes until they soften a bit. Next put in the cauliflower and cook another 2-3 minutes. Finally, add the zucchini, broccoli, and minced ginger and stir fry everything for another 5 minutes. If you’re using different vegetables, add the hardest vegetables first as they’ll take the longest to cook.
Once the veggies are cooked, pour the sauce over the vegetables and add the snap peas. Stir fry everything in the sauce for a couple more minutes so the sauce is hot and veggies are well-coated. We served this with leftover chicken and enjoyed every bite.
Thankfully the kids are on the mend now, and I’ve been able to empty my pockets of all the snotty tissues I was carrying around. Ahh, the joys of parenthood. At least it wasn’t the flu, right?
Ginger Garlic Stir Fried Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 small head cauliflower
- medium head of broccoli
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup snap peas
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 4 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or paste
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce optional
- Chop vegetables into bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix arrowroot starch into the cold water until starch is dissolved. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir until well-mixed.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add sliced carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook 2-3 minutes. Next add broccoli, zucchini, and minced ginger.
- Stir fry vegetables until soft, about 5 more minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and add snap peas. Stir fry for two more minutes, ensuring veggies are well-coated in sauce.