I’m getting so tired of winter. It poured rain all weekend which meant that the kids were wilder than usual, and that meant that I had less energy left over for meal planning or meal prep. I was wracking my brain to come up with something easy to cook that everybody would like when I remembered a peanut curry that hubs makes for special occasions. I decided to try it with almond butter instead of peanut, added some chili paste and fish sauce for a little extra seasoning, and threw in some frozen peas too. I ended up with a rich, spicy, and nutty dish that turned out to be a hit. I’ll make this again!
Start by prepping your boneless chicken into bite-size cubes then set it aside. Heat some coconut oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add two cloves of minced garlic, two tablespoons minced ginger, one tablespoon curry powder, and two teaspoons garam masala. Saute the spice mix for a couple of minutes until your kitchen smells amazing, but be careful not to burn the spices. Add a can of full fat coconut milk, half a cup of almond butter, the juice from one medium lime, two tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro, and one teaspoon of fish sauce. Add a teaspoon of chili paste, or more if you like it spicy. Mix everything well, making sure the almond butter completely melts into the sauce.
Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cubed chicken. I used three pounds of skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Stir it all up to coat the chicken, then cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a cup of frozen peas and simmer another five minutes until the chicken is done and the peas are cooked but still firm. I hate mushy peas! Serve your almond butter curry on a bed of rice or cauliflower rice and garnish with some fresh cilantro.
Almond Butter Curry Chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 can 400 ml full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- juice from 1 medium lime about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or more, to taste
- 3 pounds boneless chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Start by chopping chicken into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering, add minced garlic, minced ginger, curry powder, and garam masala and saute for two minutes until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, almond butter, cilantro, fish sauce, chili paste, and lime juice. Mix until ingredients are well-blended. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add cubed chicken and stir to coat. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes until chicken is almost done.
- Add frozen peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro.