I’ve been focusing on my slow cooker lately. I guess it’s partly that time of year, and I’m trying to work my slow cooker into the meal plan a little more while we’re doing our Whole30 this month. I’m a fan of anything that makes meal prep easier so I can get through 30 days of home cooking every meal!
For example, I love a nice Thai curry, but not all the work that goes into cooking it, so today I decided to figure out how to do a simple paleo and Whole30 Thai green curry chicken in my slow cooker.
I used a family pack of skinless, boneless chicken thighs for this recipe. I normally cook with the skin on, but chicken skin tends to get kind of mushy in the slow cooker so I skipped it here. For the curry itself, I used my usual store-bought curry paste. Yes, if you’re really ambitious you can absolutely make your own curry paste. Personally, I have many, many things to do in a day, and that task takes a backseat, especially as there are several brands of curry paste that are paleo and Whole30 compliant. I use *ahem* Cock brand curry paste which is easily found at my local grocery stores. If you can’t find any of that, Thai Kitchen and Mae Ploy are other “clean” brands of curry paste. Just make sure to check the ingredient list in any ready-made curry paste you pick up. No soy, sugar, preservatives, or vegetable oils.
When I was reviewing the guidelines before this Whole30 challenge, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that white potatoes are now allowed! Woot! We don’t eat them very often, but it’s nice to have the option. So I added one diced potato to the curry. I love how the smaller pieces of potato start to break down in the slow cooker allowing the starch to thicken the curry sauce a bit.
If you wanted to add some other veggies in here, sliced eggplant and/or some bamboo shoots would be great (and authentic) choices.
Once your curry is done, stir everything up and then pull the meat apart into bite size pieces with a couple of forks. Serve over rice or choose cauliflower rice for a healthy and flavourful Whole30 meal. Yum! Easy and delicious – that’s my kind of dinner!
- 1 large potato
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) full-fat coconut milk
- 3-6 tablespoons of green curry paste according to taste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 inch piece of lemongrass
- Peel and dice the potato then add it to the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer chicken pieces on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, green curry paste, fresh lime juice, and optional fish sauce.
- Pour curry mixture over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cut lemongrass stalk in half and add to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Use two forks to pull chicken apart before serving. Pour curry sauce over top and garnish with fresh basil.
- I use a family size 6 quart slow cooker for this. If yours is smaller, adjust the amounts so it's no more than two thirds full.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This West Coast Mommy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you. This income helps pay for the operating costs of my website – thank you for your support!