“The progressive mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a melting pot where animals from every habitat live side by side and “anyone can be anything.” But when new rabbit police officer Judy Hopps arrives in town she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of tough, hulking animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack an unsolved, challenging case even if it means working with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery. But the case leads these two unlikely partners to an uneasy conclusion that Zootopia’s “evolved” society is being pulled apart by unseen forces determined to use fear to take control of the city by turning predators and prey against each other.”
My family was lucky enough to be one of the first to watch Zootopia in the theatres, and here’s what we thought at the time:
The kids – and the adults too – thoroughly enjoyed this smart, funny, and timely movie!
It’s packed full of funny sight gags and spoofs of animal behaviour that both kids and adults will enjoy, as well as a few jokes intended for the grown-ups. We first saw the Zootopia trailer before Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and yes, the scene with the sloths running the DMV was just as funny the second time around!
While ostensibly aimed at children, this is one of the most grown-up Disney movies I’ve seen in a long time, up there with Inside Out. On the surface, it’s a classic buddy cop/detective movie full of enchanting characters and engaging plot twists, but its central message of tolerance and standing up to fearmongering, racism, and prejudice is a very modern and timely one.
Since thoroughly enjoying this in the theatre, we’ve been anxiously awaiting the home video release so we could watch it again. It was just as good the second time, and the kids would tell you the third and fourth time too! Zootopia is clever, funny, hopeful, and simply a great story. It’s a must see for any family.
The best reviewed movie of 2016, Zootopia is now on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD. The home release is made even better with the addition of a host of excellent bonus features, including candid conversations with the filmmakers and artists behind Zootopia, an alternate opening, never-before-seen characters and deleted scenes, plus a guide to some of the hidden Mickey Mouse heads and Easter Eggs that make reference to other Disney movies and characters.
Zootopia is now available at Amazon and wherever Blu-rays are sold.
Bonus features include:
- Zoology: The Roundtables – Ginnifer Goodwin hosts an in-depth look at the movie’s characters, animation, environments and more.
- The Origin of an Animal Tale – Follow the story’s development from its origins to a big story shift that turned the film upside down. In this feature-length documentary, filmmakers give a candid look into the difficulties of creating the story of Zootopia and the bold decision to switch the main character late in the production process, putting one resolute rabbit center stage.
- Research: A True-Life Adventure – This feature spotlights the importance of research and how a deep dive into animal behavior at Disney Animal Kingdom theme park and a deep immersion into animal society on the African savanna shaped and inspired the characters of Zootopia and changed the filmmakers’ lives forever.
- Z.P.D. Forensic Files – Find the movie’s hidden Easter Eggs.
- Scoretopia – Academy Award®-winning composer, Michael Giacchino spotlights five of cinema’s greatest percussionists.
- Deleted Characters – Find out which citizens of Zootopia didn’t make the final cut.
- Deleted Scenes: Alternate Opening, Wild Times! Pitch, Alternate Homesick Hopps, Detective Work, Alternate Jumbo Pop, Hopps’ Apartment, The Taming Party
- “Try Everything” Music Video by Shakira
- Digital HD Exclusive: International Character Reel – See the variances in news reporters in Zootopia around the world!
I’ve got some fun printable crafts and activity pages for your little one too! Click to download a PDF you can print at home.
Win a Digital Copy of Zootopia!
One of my readers will win a digital copy of Zootopia to enjoy at home. Enter in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of the US, 18+.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to like me on Facebook!
Disclosure: I received a sample item for review. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on my personal experience. Your experience may differ. This post contains affiliate links. This West Coast Mommy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.