Good news, cloth diapering mamas! The Great Cloth Diaper Change is back for the ninth year in a row! The 9th annual GCDC will take place over the weekend of April 27-28, 2019.
The GCDC is a family-friendly annual event promoting the benefits of cloth diapering while celebrating Earth Day and sustainability.
First conceived by Judy Aagard of Tiny Tots Diaper Service, this event morphed into a dream to set a Guinness World Record for the most cloth diapers changed simultaneously. Shortly thereafter, the Great Cloth Diaper Change 2011 was conceived and organized by a small group of cloth diaper enthusiasts eager to demonstrate that cloth diapers are a real option for today’s families.
The initial plan was to develop an infrastructure for cloth diapering devotees in North America to get involved, but it soon became apparent that cloth diapering had a considerable following not just in North America, but around the world. The Real Diaper Association (RDA) took on the greater organization of the GCDC in 2012. Sadly, the RDA closed in January 2018, but a group of volunteer veteran GCDC Hosts has committed to keeping the spirit of the GCDC alive and spreading the word about cloth diapering.
For this year’s GCDC, events can be scheduled on either day and at any time over the weekend of April 27-28. All you need is a 100% reusable cloth diaper to change your child into. There are currently 230 locations registered in 16 countries. Check here to see if there’s an event near you.
If you can’t find a GCDC event near you, why not sign up to host one? Host registration is now open! Individual GCDC events can be any size, from a couple of friends on a playdate to a big public event. All you have to do is complete your free registration on the GCDC website.
Past GCDC Events
- 2011: A Guinness World Record™ was set for the “most people changing (cloth) diapers simultaneously” with 5,026 participant pairs at 127 locations in 5 countries.
- 2012: A new world record was set with 8,251 qualifying participant pairs at 189 locations on 4 continents.
- 2013: A new Guinness World Record™ was set for the “most people changing (cloth) diapers in 24 hours” around the world with 8,301 qualifying participant pairs from 15 countries on 5 continents.
- 2014: A new world record was set with 8,459 qualifying participant pairs at 188 locations from 18 countries on 6 continents.
- 2015: Before the event, the GCDC discontinued their working relationship with Guinness World Records™. Events were still held at 280 locations in 19 countries with a total of 7,441 qualifying participant pairs.
- 2016: There were 5,037 qualifying participant pairs at 236 locations from 19 countries around the world.
- 2017: On April 22nd, 2017, thousands of participants continued the tradition and joined together to promote the use of cloth diapers at 179 locations from 18 countries as 3,089 reusable cloth diaper changes happened around the world.
- 2018: On April 21st, 2018, thousands of participants continued the tradition and joined together to promote the use of cloth diapers at 120 locations from 11 countries as 2,521 reusable cloth diaper changes happened around the world.
Images courtesy of The Great Cloth Diaper Change.