I’ve always found pot roast kind of boring, but with our busy life it’s a wonderfully easy meal to make in the slow cooker and great for those days when I don’t have time to make dinner. So I started experimenting with ways to bring more flavour to the basic slow cooker pot roast. We used to use red wine in this recipe, but as we’re not much for drinking, we often don’t have any in the house. Fortunately, subbing good quality balsamic vinegar is a really simple way to add flavour and tenderize the meat even further.
Add enough coconut or olive oil to coat the bottom of a cast iron frying pan. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, pan sear all the sides of your roast on medium-high, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place a layer of sliced sweet potato and carrots on the bottom of your slow cooker, and put the seared roast on top of the veggies. Add the beef broth or water to the slow cooker, then slowly pour the cup balsamic vinegar over the top and sides of the roast. Add minced garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, and a few bay leaves on top. I like to press the minced garlic onto the top of the roast to make sure it stays put throughout the cooking. Sprinkle the rest of your spices on the top and sides of the roast, then add the chopped onion on top and down the sides of the crock pot, being careful not to dislodge any of the seasonings from the top.
Cook the pot roast on low for 6-7 hours or until a meat thermometer shows an interior temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with veggies from the slow cooker and whatever other sides you enjoy. Mashed garlic cauliflower goes exceptionally well with this.
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2.5 pound chuck roast
- 1 or 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup beef broth or water
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2-3 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat and sear all sides of roast.
- Add layer of sliced sweet potatoes and carrots on bottom of slow cooker and place seared roast on top.
- Add beef broth or water to slow cooker and pour balsamic vinegar over top and sides of roast.
- Press minced garlic on top of roast. Add rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, pepper, and chili powder to the top and sides of roast. Add chopped onion on top and around the roast.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until interior temperature reaches at least 160 degrees Farenheit.