This weekend has been crazy busy. We had TWO parties for Tee’s 4th birthday – one with family and one with her friends. Yeah, crazy I know. By Monday, hubs and I were both exhausted. I needed something fast and easy for dinner tonight, and with the amount of sugar that’s passed through this house and my kids this weekend, I really wanted something fresh and light as well. This pan fried fish with fruit salsa recipe is all of the above!
We picked up some fresh snapper at the grocery store today, but any white fish would work. Cod, sablefish, or halibut are all great choices. The real star of the show is the fruit salsa though. I made this with the fruit I had on hand. Feel free to substitute or add whatever fruit you have around, as long as you include some citrus fruit.
Section a whole orange making sure to remove all the peel, pith, and membrane. Chop up the naked orange segments and throw them into a non-metallic bowl. Wash and dice the rest of your fruit then add to the bowl. I like larger pieces for a chunkier salsa, but you can chop the fruit to your preferred texture. Tonight I used an orange, half an avocado, half a small apple (I didn’t bother peeling the apple), eight raspberries, and four medium strawberries. Pineapple, peach, kiwi, pear, and fig would work really well in this salsa too.
Add a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh cilantro, a quarter cup of freshly squeezed lime juice, half a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, and a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix all the ingredients together well then leave the salsa out on the counter for half an hour or so. Letting it sit helps deepen the flavours.
While your salsa is resting, season the white fish simply with salt and pepper and pan fry it in coconut oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Plate the fish with a generous amount of fruit salsa on top. Enjoy!
Pan Fried Fish with Fruit Salsa
- 1 orange
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 small apple
- 4 medium strawberries
- 8 raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 white fish fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the salsa first. Section the orange, removing peel and membranes. Peel avocado.
- Dice all the fruit and place in a non-metallic bowl.
- Add finely chopped cilantro, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and cinnamon. Mix well and allow salsa to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron frying pan over medium heat.
- Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry the fish for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook other side for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve fish with fruit salsa on top.