This week I want to share one of my family’s favourite stew recipes with you. I’ve been making this curry beef stew for a few years now, but since going paleo, I’ve adapted the recipe to make it wheat-free and paleo-friendly. There’s a lot of cutting and chopping involved, but I think it’s worth it. When I serve this, everybody cleans their plates, my picky three-year-old included!
Heat three tablespoons of coconut or olive oil over medium heat in a large stew pot. Once hot, add one diced onion and saute until translucent. Throw in three tablespoons of curry powder, two tablespoons of ginger powder, two tablespoons of onion powder, and one teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Saute the spices for a minute until fragrant.
Now add the beef. Add more oil to prevent sticking if you need to. When the meat is lightly browned, add two cups of beef broth. Stir well and turn down the heat. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
While the beef is cooking, prep your vegetables. Peel and cube three sweet potatoes, peel and slice three large carrots, and wash and chop half a head of cauliflower. Once the meat is meltingly tender, throw in the veggies and mix everything together. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes.
Instead of flour, I use arrowroot starch or cornstarch to thicken my stew. I know cornstarch isn’t paleo, but there really isn’t that much in this recipe. If you want this stew to be 100% paleo, then stick with the arrowroot.
In a small bowl, mix two heaping tablespoons of arrowroot starch into a couple of tablespoons of cold water until all the starch is mixed into a slurry. When the vegetables are done, pour the starch slurry into the stew while stirring so it doesn’t coagulate and get lumpy. Add one and a half cups of diced tomatoes, stir, then cover and simmer for a final ten minutes.
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1.5 pounds grass-fed beef, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- In a large stew pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once shimmering, add diced onion and saute until translucent.
- Add curry powder, ginger powder, onion powder, and ground pepper. Saute for one minute, stirring well.
- Add beef and saute until lightly browned.
- Add beef broth, mix well, and cover. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, and cauliflower. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix arrowroot starch with cold water until dissolved. Add starch slurry to stew while stirring.
- Add tomatoes, cover, and simmer 10 minutes more.