A few months ago, I left the kids at home and met up with a group of moms who had also left their kids at home to watch Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again at our local movie theatre.
I feel no guilt whatsoever in telling you I thoroughly enjoyed this fun and carefree movie, and even more so, being at a theatre kid-free for the first time in a very, very long time. Nobody complained that the seat was too hard or too soft or too “foldy”. Nobody asked me, “Who’s that, Mommy?” or “What’s going to happen, Mommy?” dozens of times throughout the movie. (Listen kid, we’re all watching the same movie. I don’t know what’s going to happen either.) No hunting for dropped jackets or greasy popcorn hands rubbing on my shoulder. No whisper-shouting, “Stop putting your feet on the seat in front of you!”
As Young Donna sings, “I have a dream!” And it’s watching an entire movie without taking anyone to the bathroom just before all the good parts. I’m not even an ABBA fan, but it was still awfully hard to keep from humming along and tapping my toes.
Now that Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is out on Blu-ray this week, we can all watch and sing along together again. Even with the kids.
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is available digitally; or bring the sing-along home on Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD, or DVD on October 23.
Pick up your copy of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again on Amazon!
Both a prequel and a sequel, the film tells two stories: present day as Sophie Sheridan (Amanda Seyfried) prepares for the grand reopening of her mother Donna’s (Meryl Streep) hotel, and 1979 when young Donna (Lily James) first arrives on the island. Sophie learns about her mother’s exciting, fun-filled adventures with the young Dynamos, Tanya (Jessica Keenan-Wynn) and Rosie (Alexa Davies), and how young Donna first met her three possible dads Harry (Hugh Skinner), Bill (Josh Dylan) and Sam (Jeremy Irvine) all those years ago. Deemed as “a relentlessly sunny musical romp” by Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is filled with summer fun, joy and romance that allows audiences to tap into their inner dancing queens in their own living rooms!
Get ready to sing and dance all over again with the entire cast and go behind the scenes with Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again on Digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray TM and DVD – with over an hour of bonus features including one-of-a-kind lyric videos and a never-before-seen performance of “I Wonder”.
Exclusive to 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, & Digital
- Deleted/Extended Songs and Scenes with Commentary by Director/Screenplay Writer Ol Parker
- Extended Song Performance – The Name Of The Game
- Extended Song Performance – Knowing Me, Knowing You
- Enhanced Sing-Alongs
- One Of Us
- Why Did It Have To Be Me?
- I Have A Dream
- Kisses Of Fire
- Knowing Me, Knowing You
- Angel Eyes
- My Love, My Life
- Cast Meets Cast
- Tanya Meets Tanya – Jessica Keenan Wynn interviews Christine Baranski about playing the sassiest Dynamo – Tanya.
- Rosie Meets Rosie – Alexa Davies interviews Julie Walters as the two actresses share their experiences playing Rosie.
- Cast Chats
- Dynamo Chit-Chat – A conversation between the three Young Dynamos reflecting on their favorite song, costumes, scenes to shoot, and funniest moments.
- Dad Chat – The young dads come together to share some of their favorite memories from set.
- High Jinks
- Sophie’s Story – Of all the characters, Amanda Seyfried’s Sophie has developed the most since the first movie. Here we will chart how Sophie has gone from a vulnerable young girl to a confident young woman following life-changing events.
- Choreographing Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again – Choreographer Anthony Van Laast and his team will reveal some of the secrets behind the highly original dance routines.
- Dancing Queen: Anatomy of a Scene – The most famous piano roll in musical history opens one of ABBA’S biggest hits, “Dancing Queen.” The number is the biggest and most complex sequence. Ol Parker will discuss where and how he wanted to use the song in the story.
- Performing for Legends – Here the Young Dynamos will discuss the daunting prospect of stepping into the recording booth at Air Studios to sing ABBA to ABBA.
- Class of ’79 – The story of the Young Dads and Dynamos is told against the backdrop of Oxford, Paris and the Greek Islands of 1979, when hairstyles were wackier and the fashions were bolder. This featurette will focus on the Young Dads and Dynamos and their experience bringing these characters to life.
Bonus Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital
- Deleted Songs and Scenes with Commentary by Director/Screenplay Writer Ol Parker
- Deleted Song Performance – I Wonder
- Deleted Scene – Tahini
- Enhanced Sing-Alongs
- Thank You For The Music
- When I Kissed The Teacher
- Andante, Andante
- The Name Of The Game
- Mamma Mia
- Dancing Queen
- I’ve Been Waiting For You
- Super Trouper
- The Story – Producer Judy Craymer reveals how the Mamma Mia! legacy began, evolved into the first feature film and how she teamed with executive producer/co-story writer Richard Curtis and director/screenplay writer Ol Parker to develop the perfect sequel.
- Mamma Mia! Reunited – Focusing on the legacy performers and their excitement at reuniting a decade later, the filmmakers discuss the paths they’ve paved for the characters since we last saw them.
- Playing Donna – This piece centers on Meryl Streep’s cameo performance and Lily James’ preparation for filling this iconic role.
- Meeting Cher – The Queen of Pop reveals her excitement at joining the Mamma Mia! family as Ruby Sheridan – Sophie’s glamorous grandmother. Fellow cast members will share their delight at meeting and watching a legend on set.
- Costumes and The Dynamos – The Young Dynamos have some pretty cool costumes in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, and of course so does Cher. And who could forget those trademark dungarees? We will join costume designer Michelle Clapton as she highlights some of her favorite outfits from the movie.
- Curtain Call – Who can forget the finale to Mamma Mia! when the cast danced onto cinema screens in full spandex for one final number? Ol Parker has chosen “Super Trouper” to close his movie and it features all 16 key cast members.
- NBC’s TODAY Show Interview with Cher & Judy Craymer
- Feature Commentary with Director/Screenplay Writer Ol Parker
- Feature Commentary with Producer Judy Craymer
Win Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again on Blu-ray
I’ve got a copy of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again to give away to one lucky reader. Enter in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada and the U.S., 18+. All the winner’s entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to follow me on Facebook!
I received a sample item to facilitate this review. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on my personal experience. Your experience may differ. This post contains affiliate links. This West Coast Mommy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you. This income helps pay for the operating costs of my website – thank you for your support!