Whew! We’re wrapping up the second week of school here, and I’m exhausted. It’s a big adjustment getting back to our regular routines, especially those early mornings dragging two kids out of bed, throwing lunches together, rushing everyone out to the car, and navigating all the road construction that suddenly popped up this week like mushrooms after a storm. (Seriously, what is with all the construction??)
Kay moved to a new Montessori school this year for grade one, and while it’s fabulous for me having both girls in the same school, I know it’s a big change for her. Thankfully she already knew a couple of girls in the class and she loves her teacher, so I think she’s adjusting pretty well so far.
Back to school also means back to regular meal planning and mealtimes, which means it’s a good time to add some new recipes into the rotation too. I’ve been working on this honey garlic chicken recipe for the past few weeks, and after four attempts, I think I have it! I wanted that traditional sweet and savoury honey garlic flavour, but nothing too sweet since we don’t need sugary glazes or sauces on our everyday meals.
I use chicken thighs for this recipe because dark meat is juicier and more flavourful. Lately I’ve been baking my chicken dinners on a wire rack to keep the chicken leaner and avoid any greasy feel. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have a wire rack in the back of your kitchen cupboard though. I’ve also made this directly in the baking dish and it’s still delicious.
The recipe below is how I make it paleo-style, but if you don’t have coconut aminos you can substitute soy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, remember that soy sauce typically includes wheat gluten, so use gluten-free tamari sauce instead.
The best part is the kids love it too. After a long day of learning and playing at school, they deserve it!
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce or GF tamari sauce)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8-10 chicken thighs, bone in
- Mix all ingredients together and marinate chicken thighs in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade and arrange skin side down on a wire rack in a baking dish. (Don't throw out the marinade yet!)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip over chicken pieces and baste with leftover marinade. Bake for 30-35 more minutes.