Good news, cloth diapering mamas! The Great Cloth Diaper Change is back! The 8th annual GCDC will take place on Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11:00 am local time.
When the Real Diaper Association closed its doors at the end of 2017, the future of the GCDC was thrown into doubt. Fortunately, a team of GCDC veteran hosts have come together to keep this flagship cloth diapering event alive. What’s more, Guinness will be back to supervise this year’s attempt to break the world record of 8,459 people changing cloth diapers set back in 2014!
What is the Great Cloth Diaper Change?
The GCDC is a world record attempt for the “most people changing (cloth) diapers in 24 hours” around the world. This family-friendly event helps promote the benefits of cloth diapering while celebrating Earth Day and sustainability.
If you would like to participate in the Great Cloth Diaper Change Guinness World Record™ attempt, you must:
- be 18 years of age or older,
- have a child 39″ tall or shorter and currently in diapers*,
- bring or borrow a 100% reusable cloth diaper to change your child into at the event.
* One cloth diaper changer per baby/child. If you have two babies to change, you’ll need two adults to change them.
If you can’t find a GCDC event near you, why not sign up to host one? Events can be as big or as small and informal as you like.
Past GCDC Events
The GCDC was established back in 2011 and has been held every year since. Here’s an overview of the numbers each year. Let’s make 2018 the biggest yet!
- 2011: A Guinness World Record™ was set for the “most people changing (cloth) diapers simultaneously” with 5,026 participant pairs at 127 locations in 5 countries.
- 2012: A new world record was set with 8,251 qualifying participant pairs at 189 locations on 4 continents.
- 2013: A new Guinness World Record™ was set for the “most people changing (cloth) diapers in 24 hours” around the world with 8,301 qualifying participant pairs from 15 countries on 5 continents.
- 2014: A new world record was set with 8,459 qualifying participant pairs at 188 locations from 18 countries on 6 continents.
- 2015: Before the event, the GCDC discontinued their working relationship with Guinness World Records™. Events were still held at 280 locations in 19 countries with a total of 7,441 qualifying participant pairs.
- 2016: There were 5,037 qualifying participant pairs at 236 locations from 19 countries around the world.
- 2017: On April 22nd, 2017, thousands of participants continued the tradition and joined together to promote the use of cloth diapers at 179 locations from 18 countries as 3,089 reusable cloth diaper changes happened around the world.
- 2018: The GCDC is back and ready to attempt to break the standing Guinness World Record™!
Images courtesy of The Great Cloth Diaper Change.