Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch is available now on Digital and on 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD on February 5.
Pick up your copy of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch on Amazon!
You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch,
You really are a heel.
You’re as cuddly as a cactus,
You’re as charming as an eel,
You already know the story…
The Grinch and his loyal dog, Max, live a solitary existence inside a cave on Mount Crumpit. His main source of aggravation comes during Christmastime when his neighbors in Whoville celebrate the holidays with a bang.
When the Whos decide to make Christmas bigger and brighter, the disgruntled Grinch realizes there is one way to gain peace and quiet. With help from Max, the green grump hatches a scheme to pose as Santa Claus, steal Christmas and silence the Whos’ holiday cheer once and for all.
In the most recent incarnation of everyone’s favourite green villain, the Grinch is more of a grouch than a criminal mastermind. We get to learn a little bit more of the Grinch’s backstory which I appreciate. There’s also a secondary story line involves Cindy-Lou Who (who is a great deal more than two) plotting to catch Santa on Christmas Eve, which is what leads to the pair coming face-to-face mid-caper.
My kids’ favourite scenes (and mine too!) are when the Grinch is racing the clock to steal all the Christmas gifts and decorations in the town before sunrise. It turns out that somewhere in the Grinch’s misspent youth, he picked up advanced engineering skills that allow him to invent fantastic gadgets to help him along the way. We’re talking retractable sled runners, go-go-gadget extendable legs, and multi-purpose candy canes!
Narrated by Grammy Award winner and Oscar nominee Pharrell Williams, stars Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Strange, “Sherlock”) as the infamous Grinch. The incredible voice cast includes Rashida Jones (“Parks and Recreation,” The Muppets) as Donna Who, Kenan Thompson (“Saturday Night Live”) as Bricklebaum, Cameron Seely (The Greatest Showman) as Cindy-Lou Who, and legendary actress Angela Lansbury (Anastasia, Beauty and the Beast) as the mayor of Whoville.
The new home entertainment edition contains more than 60 minutes of bonus content, including three mini-movies: “Dog Days of Winter” starring the Grinch and his heroically loyal dog Max; and “Yellow is the New Black” and “Santa’s Little Helpers,” both starring the lovable Minions. It also includes stunning featurettes, a how-to-draw tutorial, and much more.
Bonus Features Exclusive to 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD:
- Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video – Tyler, The Creator puts a modern spin on the Seussian Christmas classic.
Mini-Movies on 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital:
- Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
- Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favorite hot tea.
- Santa’s Little Helpers – The Minions are back for another adventure! Having been accidentally dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
Bonus Features on 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital:
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – Mini in size but not in heart, these short films are fan favorites. From the Grinch and Max to the Minions – you’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who made them.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Illuminating The Grinch – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
- My Earliest Grinch Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
- “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film.
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe tapping beats of Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
- Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- Production Babies – A celebration of the babies born to the filmmakers during the production of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch.
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O’Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favorite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max and Fred!
Win a Grinch Prize Pack
I’ve got a Grinch prize pack to give away including a copy of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch on Blu-ray, this awesome Grinch beanie, and a mini box of Grinch Valentine’s Day candy conversation hearts.
Enter in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada and the U.S., 18+. All the winner’s entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to follow me on Facebook!
Disclosure: I received a sample item to facilitate this review. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on my personal experience. Your experience may differ. This post contains affiliate links. This West Coast Mommy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you. This income helps pay for the operating costs of my website – thank you for your support!