I can think of only a select few movies this year that I want to have in my personal collection. A very small number of films that I and my family will watch over and over again. Kubo and the Two Strings is one of them.
Even if I hadn’t been invited to attend an advance screening in L.A., even if I hadn’t had the chance to hear Director Travis Knight talk about his love for stop motion animation and his inspiration for this movie, even if I hadn’t been a part of any kind of promotion for this movie, I would still tell you to bring this home for your family.
“Kubo and the Two Strings is an epic action-adventure set in a fantastical Japan from acclaimed animation studio LAIKA. Clever, kindhearted Kubo ekes out a humble living, telling stories to the people of his seaside town. But his relatively quiet existence is shattered when he accidentally summons a spirit from his past which storms down from the heavens to enforce an age-old vendetta. Now on the run, Kubo joins forces with Monkey and Beetle, and sets out on a thrilling quest to save his family and solve the mystery of his fallen father, the greatest samurai warrior the world has ever known. With the help of his shamisen, a magical musical instrument, Kubo must battle gods and monsters, including the vengeful Moon King and the evil twin Sisters, to unlock the secret of his legacy, reunite his family, and fulfill his heroic destiny.”
I’ve mentioned before how much I love stop motion animation. LAIKA Studio does it better than anyone, and Kubo and the Two Strings is the pinnacle of their achievement.
Kubo is such a beautiful movie, both visually and in its story, you’ll want to watch it more than once. You’ll also love going behind the scenes like this. (There are more behind the scenes goodies on the Blu-ray too.)
The Blu-ray release of Kubo and the Two Strings comes with a six-part making-of feature, two featurettes, and an audio commentary track from the Director/Producer.
- Kubo’s Journey:
- Introduction by Director/Producer Travis Knight
- Japanese Inspiration – The LAIKA creative team and the cast discuss the inspirations for the story.
- Mythological Monsters – The filmmakers and crew discuss the new techniques they used to create the terrifying antagonists. Learn how each monster differed in scale, design, and execution.
- Braving the Elements – A particularly challenging aspect of filming was animating water and rain effects. Discover how LAIKA was able to animate water in the context of a stop-motion film.
- The Redemptive and Healing Power of Music – Learn how traditional and contemporary musical styles were combined by Academy Award-winning composer Dario Marianelli (Atonement) to infuse the film with such a heartfelt sound.
- Epilogue by Director/Producer Travis Knight – Knight discusses what attracted LAIKA to Kubo and the Two Strings.
- Corners of the Earth – Filmmakers and crew discuss the challenges of the varied landscapes and locations in Kubo and the Two Strings.
- The Myth of Kubo – Cast and filmmakers discuss the story at the core of Kubo and the Two Strings.
- Audio Commentary from Director/Producer Travis Knight.
Win Kubo and the Two Strings on Blu-ray
I love this movie so much, I want to share it with everyone! But for now I only have one Blu-ray copy to give away along with this limited edition collectible featuring animation faces used by LAIKA Studio during the production of Kubo and the Two Strings. Only 275 of these incredible keepsakes were made (comes with a certificate of authenticity).
Enter in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada only, 18+. All the winner’s entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to follow me on Facebook!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This West Coast Mommy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you. This income helps pay for the operating costs of my website – thank you for your support!