One of my favourite things about this time of year is eating outside. Ice cream at the beach, picnics in the park, campfire hot dogs and s’mores, and definitely all the grilling. There’s just something about barbecuing that makes everything taste better!
When we’re firing up the backyard barbecue, we love lean and light Canadian turkey. Low-fat, high-protein turkey is a great healthy choice for all your summer grilling, and you can substitute it in for just about any protein in your favourite recipes. Turkey is perfect for summer celebrations, backyard barbecues, and quick and tasty everyday meals.
Turkey is so much more versatile than just a traditional roast for the holidays! Think turkey legs, drumsticks, thighs, breast steaks, breast rolls, breast roasts, drummettes, wings, sausages, or burgers – all grilled to perfection on the barbecue this summer! Turkey is delicious hot off the grill or served cold on a fresh salad for those sweltering summer days.
Today’s fresh idea is this Grilled Turkey Panzanella Salad. What’s that you ask? Panzanella is a Tuscan-style bread and tomato salad. If you’re celiac, gluten-intolerant, paleo, or otherwise avoiding gluten, you can use gluten-free sourdough for this recipe or simply leave it out entirely. Without the bread, it isn’t technically panzanella, but it’s still tasty either way!
- 3 thick slices gluten-free sourdough bread
- 2 cups assorted tomatoes
- 1 cup curly endive or other hearty lettuce
- 1 cup cucumber
- Small handful fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 lbs boneless Canadian turkey breast
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup basil, finely minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper and slice into 1-inch pieces.
- Grill over medium heat until cooked through and meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Set aside until cooled.
- Grill bread slices over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides. Tear into bite size pieces.
- Chop tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Wash and chop lettuce.
- Assemble the salad: line a platter or wide bowl with lettuce. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, turkey, and bread.
- Top with dressing and fresh basil leaves. Allow dressing to soak into bread and salad for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can make the turkey and the bread up to 3 days ahead so you can pull this salad together in no time for a busy weeknight meal or for a last minute weekend BBQ. Store the turkey in an airtight container in the fridge. Store your grilled bread in a separate airtight container.
If you do have a craving for roast turkey, get your butcher to cut a whole bird in half and barbecue half at a time. Serve with coleslaw and grilled corn for a festive summer menu perfect for any occasion!
6 Tips for Healthy Grilling
Get out of the kitchen and into the backyard this summer with some deliciously light grilled turkey recipes. Here are some tips for healthy grilling, courtesy of Canadian Turkey.
- Grill lean and trim the fat – using lean cuts of meat with less fat means less flames and smoke on the grill.
- Infuse flavour into your meats by marinating with healthy fats like olive oil, adding citrus, beer, wine or vinegar and fresh herbs, spices and rubs.
- When grilling, go low and slow by grilling over low and medium heat. Cook until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the meat.
- Practice food safe habits and refrigerate any foods that are marinating longer than 1/2 hour.
- Cooking entire meals on the grill will give you juicy meat and tasty vegetables. Grilling locks in moisture and adds natural smoky flavour, cutting down on the need for extra fats, salt and sugary sauces.
- Grilling your food gets you outside where you can hang out with the family while you cook. While barbecuing, why not throw the ball or a Frisbee around? It’s a great way to enjoy the outdoors and have some fun together.
Canadian Turkey makes it easy to get your grill on with all their recipe ideas and How To Guides, like this Guide to Barbecuing Turkey with help on grilling methods and how long. Visit Canada Turkey’s Summer Grilling Guide for more great ideas!
Look for the Canadian Turkey logo next time you’re grocery shopping so you know you’re putting Canadian quality on your table – from the farmer’s family to yours!
Win a $75 Visa Gift Card
One lucky reader will win a $75 Visa gift card to purchase all the ingredients and fixings for their own summer turkey picnic or barbecue. Enter to win in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada, 18+. All entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to like me on Facebook!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Canadian Turkey. Nevertheless, all opinions expressed are completely honest and my own. Your experience may differ.