Summer is officially here, and it’s a great time to think about fresh meal ideas – like cooking with Canadian turkey! If you think turkey is only for the holidays, you’re missing out! Turkey is so much more than that. It’s light and lean, perfect for hot summer days, and you can sub it in for pretty much any protein in your favourite recipe. I love to grill up some turkey breasts slathered in my Blueberry Barbecue Sauce, and my kids’ most favourite meal ever is tacos made with seasoned ground turkey.
Who says turkey sandwiches are only for after Christmas? Here’s one way to update that classic turkey leftovers sandwich: this BBQ Turkey Club with Spicy Mayo! Grilled turkey, bacon, cheese, avocado, tomato, and spicy mayo all on grilled gluten-free sourdough bread. Drool!
Turkey comes in all sorts of different cuts and products. There’s turkey breasts, drumsticks, wings, and thighs. Or how about ground turkey, turkey patties, turkey sausages, even turkey bacon! Try it hot off the grill or served cold on a fresh salad. And if you do pick up a whole turkey, that bird can feed your family for days!
Pro tip: If you’re not planning to roast the turkey whole and your grocery store has a butcher on the premises, ask him or her to break it down into parts for you.
When I buy turkey for my family, I only want Canadian turkey. Luckily, this new logo will let me know when I’ve found it! Ask for Canadian raised turkey next time you’re grocery shopping so you know you’re putting Canadian quality on your table – from the farmer’s family to yours!
- 1 lb turkey breast, sliced
- 1 avocado
- 6 pieces thick sliced natural bacon
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large round loaf gluten-free sourdough bread
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps spicy mayo (recipe follows)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsps homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Add all spicy mayo ingredients to a small bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp and cooked, 8-12 minutes.
- Slice the turkey breast into even ¾ inch slices.
- Brush with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat until cooked through, 4-6 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Cut three thick slices of sourdough bread from the middle of the loaf, in order to get the largest slices possible.
- Brush with the rest of the olive oil and grill for 1- 2 minutes each side until lightly browned.
- Add cheese to bread while still on the grill until melted.
- Assemble sandwich. Slather bread with spicy mayo. Layer on tomato slices, turkey breast, avocado and bacon.
Win a $75 Visa Gift Card
One lucky reader will win a $75 Visa gift card to purchase all the ingredients and fixings for their own summer turkey picnic or barbecue. Enter to win in the giveaway widget below. This giveaway is open to residents of Canada, 18+. All entries will be verified.
Click here to check out my other open giveaways and be sure to like me on Facebook!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own. Your experience may differ.